After Magritte

This is not a blog

My Photo
Name:

We sold our souls for $300.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

No Quarter

Now I am no Dixie Chicks fan. At a former job, I worked in a call center, doing analytics and reporting. I sat in a cube out with the callers. To improve morale, they played music over the PA system. The guy who played the music went on vacation and for 2 weeks hear the same 30 songs for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. One of them was A Dixie Chicks song, something about running. When I hear it now, I am temped to jam an ice pick into my skull. Anything to make it stop. Needless to say, not good for morale.

That said, what happened to them was amazing, and I kind of like how they handled it. The death threats, the publishing the address, the boycotts remind us how vicious the enemy is. They have been proven wrong at every turn, and many are slinking away from Mr. 31%. On some level, I am happy. These are voters and the most importing thing is insuring the republican taliban never wins another election. But on another level, I am pissed. Their noses have not been rubbed in it enough. There has not been enough gloating. People need to go to jail for treason. People need to lose their jobs. Those DJs who wouldn’t play the Dixie Chicks in 2003, should be unemployed today.

We must always remember what they did to our country. They should never be allowed to forget it. No republican should ever get to stop apologizing.

2 Comments:

Blogger TubaOnFire said...

My issue with most of the Dem strategy stuff I read (and I have not read the Kos book) is that most of it is something like "For the Dems to win they need to come out for manditory vegitarianism. Animals have suffered enough blah blah blah." I see the party as a dead animal that all the heyena's are fighting over for their special interest.

We should each post our strategies for the party.

4:20 PM  
Blogger TubaOnFire said...

I think that you have hit on something critical - the ability to pass it on. There is a lot of Marketing speak about that now. The traditional TV advertising, etc. is just not as effective as it once was - for all products, not just politics. You have to have a simple message that can be passed along and a product that stands out. The Dems have neither.

The reality of the state of the nation is that we are in grave danger (is there any other kind?) Between China, Islamists, Baby Boomers, Globalization and horrific leadership for the bulk of 25 years, we have serious challenges ahead. The republicans are clearly not going to (nor are they able to) solve any of these problems. However, the Dems, as they currently exist cannot be trusted to solve anything either. They are scared, stupid and bereft of real ideas.

I think the party really died under Bush I. He was not the eloquent bastard of the people that Regan was. The party was going to get hammered under Regan. That happens. But they needed to come back strong under Bush and they punted. The Gulf War was brutal on them. But when Bush I was at 29%, they never created a national movement. While they won the presidency in 92 - it was the Bill Clinton show. There was no Democratic brand. Thus, they lost badly in 1994. I fear a re-run in 2008.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home